There are many issues that can occur in the plumbing system of your home. Most of them are very frustrating! But the most annoying of all is drip, drip, drip! A leaking tap Geelong is a headache everybody faces at some time.
Leaking Tap Geelong is usually a faulty washer
The main reason for a leaking tap Geelong is typically the result of a worn or damaged washer. Often, it is very easy to fix. If you want to save yourself some money, then read the article below instead of calling out a plumber Geelong. Plumbers will charge you more to attend your house on the weekend or after hours so be sure to read this article. Below is a step-by-step guide to replace your washer.
Establish the type and size of the washer of your leaking tap Geelong
To replace a washer of your leaking tap Geelong, you need to know what size the washer is. As a rule of thumb:
- Taps which turn on and off with a quarter-turn, have a ceramic disk inside a replaceable cartridge.
- Taps which need to be turned several times have rubber sealing washers. It is very common that basin and bath taps have different sizes.
- Mixer type taps normally have smaller washers.
When you go to the hardware store, take your old washer to the hardware store, or buy a packet with several different sized washers. Washers are not expensive.
The tools required to replace the washer are a spanner, screwdriver, some wire wool, a cloth, and a new washer.
How to replace the washer of your leaking tap Geelong
- Turn off the main water supply to the leaking tap Geelong. There may be a valve which you can turn off underneath the sink or basin of the leaking tap Geelong.
- If this is not the case, then you will have to turn off the water supply valve to the entire house. This is usually located on your property boundary nearest the nature strip.
- Turn the tap on fully to check that the water supply is switched off. There should be a small drip or trickle of water when this is done.
- Take off the faulty tap. Usually, the tap can be pulled out if you remove the hot and cold indicator disk and then remove the small screw underneath it.
- You should now be able to see the stem of the tap, with a brass nut holding it in place. Unscrew the nut with a spanner, and lift out the tap stem. The washer is on the bottom of the piece. Remove the washer, and clean off any corrosion or scale using the wire wool. Put on a new washer of the same size. You should be able to just push it on, or, it may be held on with a small nut.
- Put the tap back together, turn the water supply back on, and you have fixed the leak and saved yourself money!
Not all tap washers are easy to replace. Some are more complicated and use different types of systems and washers. Another problem is that over time the bolts and screws corrode and are difficult to remove. Do not attempt to apply force in trying to remove any part of the leaking tap Geelong. This could cause more damage to the taps and pipes or even damage the basin, bath or sink. If you are unsure it is preferable to call a plumber Geelong who will address the problem with the correct tools and knowledge and could end up costing you less than if you were to damage any parts of your leaking tap Geelong.
Geelong 24 Hour Plumbing is your local plumber Geelong specialist. If you have an issue with a blocked drain Geelong or hot water system Geelong, then you need a 24 hour plumber Geelong or an emergency plumber Geelong to service you. You might also reach out to a gas plumber Geelong to help you. It’s important that you have a Plumbing Geelong, plumbers Geelong you can trust. Drain Camera Geelong and Carbon Monoxide Testing Geelong are other service we offer to our clients.
We service many suburbs including: Plumber Geelong West, Plumber Newtown, Plumber Geelong East, Plumber Hamlyn Heights, Plumber Waurn Ponds, Plumber Highton, Plumber Corio, Plumber Inverleigh, Plumber Whittington, Plumber Thomson, Plumber St Albans Park, Plumber South Geelong, Plumber Rippleside, Plumber Ocean Grove, Plumber North Shore, Plumber North Geelong, Plumber Norlane, Plumber Newcomb, Plumber Mount Duneed, Plumber Moorabol, Plumber Moolap, Plumber Marshall, Plumber Manifold Heights, Plumber Lovely Banks, Plumber Leopold, Plumber Herne Hill, Plumber Grovedale, Plumber Geelong City, Plumber Fyansford, Plumber Drumcondra, Plumber Curlewis, Plumber Ceres, Plumber Breakwater, Plumber Belmont, Plumber Bell Post Hill, Plumber Bell Park, Plumber Batesford, Plumber Armstrong Creek.
Tags: 24 hour plumber Geelong emergency plumber Geelong, blocked drain geelong, Carbon Monoxide Testing Geelong, Drain Camera Geelong, gas plumber Geelong, hot water system geelong, Plumber Armstrong Creek, Plumber Batesford, Plumber Bell Park, Plumber Bell Post Hill, Plumber Belmont, Plumber Breakwater, Plumber Ceres, Plumber Corio, Plumber Curlewis, Plumber Drumcondra, Plumber Fyansford, plumber geelong, Plumber Geelong City, plumber Geelong East, Plumber Geelong West, Plumber Grovedale, plumber Hamlyn Heights, Plumber Herne Hill, plumber Highton, Plumber Inverleigh, Plumber Leopold, Plumber Lovely Banks, Plumber Manifold Heights, Plumber Marshall, Plumber Moolap, Plumber Moorabol, Plumber Mount Duneed, Plumber Newcomb, plumber Newtown, Plumber Norlane, Plumber North Geelong, Plumber North Shore, Plumber Ocean Grove, Plumber Rippleside, Plumber South Geelong, Plumber St Albans Park, Plumber Thomson, plumber Waurn Ponds, Plumber Whittington, Plumbers Geelong, Plumbing Geelong
Posted in: blogLeave a Comment (0) ↓