When a pool of water collects around the sink, it’s normal to start to feel frustrated and worried. Typically, it can be costly to call out a Geelong plumber but the good news is a blocked drain Geelong is easy enough to unblock yourself. A normal house owner can usually unblock a blocked drain Geelong in less than two hours. This obviously depends on how bad the blocked sink is. The article below will give you a couple of tips to unblock it yourself.
Clean the Strainer or Stopper of Your Blocked Drain Geelong
Many blockages collect around the strainer or stopper in the sink or bathtub. To unblock the drain, all you may need to do is remove the strainer and clean it. Here are a few simple tips:
- If there is a strainer over the blocked drain Geelong, you should remove any screws holding the strainer in place and then pry the strainer up with the tip of a standard screwdriver. If the strainer is loose, remove and wash away anything that has collected around the strainer and clean around the top of the drain.
- Stoppers should be cleaned on a regular basis since hair tends to twist around their base. Firstly, you should remove the sink stopper. Some stoppers can be removed by turning them with your fingers. Other stoppers require that you unscrew a pivot rod that is connected to the opener. This rod is located under the base of the sink. If you need to use pliers to remove the stopper, make sure to pad them so you don’t chip the chrome finish. Once the stopper has been removed, clean it and wipe out the base of the drain opening.
Using a Plunger on Your Blocked Drain Geelong
One of the most trusted and used tools for unclogging drains, the plunger, can usually clear the blockage if it’s not too far into the main drain. Follow these tips to make plunging work for you:
- Block off the overflow holes, other drains in adjacent sinks, or any other openings by stuffing wet rags into the holes.
- If water is not already present in the sink, run two to three inches of water over the drain hole. The water helps to force the obstruction out of the way and lets you know when you succeed in pushing the blockage out.
- Place a thick layer of petroleum jelly to the rim of the plunger. The petroleum jelly helps to create a tighter seal, thereby producing better suction.
- Force the plunger handle downwards powerfully numerous times. After plunging for a minute or two, stop to test whether water will drain from your sink. Try plunging again if the drain is still slow to drain. When the drain is clear, run hot water to flush away any remaining particles from the clog.
Using Chemicals to Clear Your Blocked Drain Geelong
If the above does not work then try a domestic drain cleaning liquid or powder purchased from your local supermarket or hardware store. Follow the instructions on the container and be careful when pouring the substance into you Blocked Drain Geelong.
If this still does not clear your Blocked Drain Geelong then it’s time to call in a professional Blocked Drain Geelong plumber.
Tags: 24 hour plumber Geelong emergency plumber Geelong, blocked drain geelong, Carbon Monoxide Testing Geelong, Drain Camera Geelong, gas plumber Geelong, hot water system geelong, Plumber Armstrong Creek, Plumber Batesford, Plumber Bell Park, Plumber Bell Post Hill, Plumber Belmont, Plumber Breakwater, Plumber Ceres, Plumber Corio, Plumber Curlewis, Plumber Drumcondra, Plumber Fyansford, plumber geelong, Plumber Geelong City, plumber Geelong East, Plumber Geelong West, Plumber Grovedale, plumber Hamlyn Heights, Plumber Herne Hill, plumber Highton, Plumber Inverleigh, Plumber Leopold, Plumber Lovely Banks, Plumber Manifold Heights, Plumber Marshall, Plumber Moolap, Plumber Moorabol, Plumber Mount Duneed, Plumber Newcomb, plumber Newtown, Plumber Norlane, Plumber North Geelong, Plumber North Shore, Plumber Ocean Grove, Plumber Rippleside, Plumber South Geelong, Plumber St Albans Park, Plumber Thomson, plumber Waurn Ponds, Plumber Whittington, Plumbers Geelong, Plumbing Geelong
Posted in: blogLeave a Comment (0) →