Handy Hints

The Importance of Carbon Monoxide Testing in Geelong

Posted by on August 17, 2020


Did you know that it is important to get periodic carbon monoxide testing done in your home in Geelong? Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that is called “the silent killer” because it is odorless and invisible, making it impossible to detect without specialized equipment. Hundreds of people are killed by it every year without ever realizing that the gas was in their homes, and thousands more are sent to the hospital. To make sure that you and your family stay safe, it is important to learn about carbon monoxide: where it comes from, what it does, and how to protect yourself from it.

Where Does Carbon Monoxide Come From?

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning fuels like gasoline and kerosene. In other words, it is produced by common devices such as gas stoves, grills, lanterns, furnaces, and engines. If you have an old gas heating system, for example, it could be leaking carbon monoxide into your house whenever you turn it on. Therefore, the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is highest during the winter months, when people have their heaters on a lot.

Outside, carbon monoxide is not much of a problem because it quickly disperses. That is why standing next to a running car or truck outside doesn’t poison you. However, when something is producing carbon monoxide inside your house, the gas cannot disperse quickly and so it builds up instead.

What Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

The symptoms of mild carbon monoxide exposure are a headache, fatigue, and nausea that may lead to vomiting. The symptoms of a more severe exposure are a severe headache, confusion, sleepiness, and a rapid heart rate. The symptoms of extreme exposure are convulsions, loss of consciousness, brain damage, organ damage, and death. The problem with these symptoms is that, in their less extreme forms, they can seem a lot like the flu. People who are asleep are particularly vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning because the early symptoms are not severe enough to cause most people to wake up, and the more extreme levels of poisoning prevent people from waking up.

How Can I Protect my Home or Business from Carbon Monoxide?

There are several things you can do to minimize the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning, and to detect whether it is present in your home or business. For one thing, you should do your own carbon monoxide testing with a carbon monoxide detector. Be sure to do your research on the best model, though, because not all of them work equally well. You should also have your gas water heater, gas heating system, and any gas appliances inspected once every year, so that professionals can make sure they are not leaking the gas. Never leave your car or truck idling in the garage. Never run a generator indoors. If the flame of your gas stove burns orange or yellow instead of blue, call a professional gas plumber. You should also call one if you discover rust, stains, or bad connections on your heating system vents and chimneys.

Finally, you should call Geelong 24 Hour Plumbing for a carbon monoxide inspection, which will detect any carbon monoxide leaks before they become a problem. Geelong 24 hour Plumbing has the experience, the knowledge and the equipment to test your home or business for carbon monoxide.

If you find yourself in any emergency gas or plumbing situations, you should call Geelong 24 Hour Plumbing on 1300 368 866 for professional assistance. Also, before making any home upgrades, you should get expert advice from an experienced professional who can help you complete your home upgrades and renovations without causing damages to your home’s plumbing system.

Posted in: blog

Leave a Comment (0) ↓